Monday 7 January 2013

The Year Begins Now

For many 2013 started a week ago. Not for me. Today is the beginning of the year for me. The school holidays are over. Himself is back to work. The routine has resumed, and I am all by myself. Oh the joy of it all!

So now would be a good time to proclaim my intentions for the next three months. Obviously, there will be projects started and finished in this time frame that will never make the list. Mostly because a whole bunch of them don't qualify as WIPs because apparently projects designed in your mind are not officially started. Imagine that! That's okay. I hate long lists.

I'll be linking up with Leanne - She Can Quilt - the new queen of the FAL.

she can quilt

Here is what I intend to finish by the end of March. First up, Salt Air. I actually hope to finish this by the end of next week so I am very optimistic about this being a successful FAL project.


Second, I will finally make a cushion out of my diamond hexies. This is a non-negotiable item because if I fail to finish such a simple and easy project again I will not be able to live with myself. And I love it so it should be something useful, not some half done project hidden away.


While tidying my desk (a mess that will not be discussed) I came across some spare lozenge shaped epp that had somehow been buried under the detritus. As I looked at the photos of the tote I made using lozenges in the last quarter of the 2012 FAL I fell in love with the project and am determined to make another one. That is project number three.


Number four - last week (I think) I showed some 10 fabrics square I was given last year as a swap extra. I have hoarded those squares waiting until I was sure what I wanted to do with them. Well hoard no more. I have cut them so there is no turning back. This future quilt just might be called Singing the Blues. Maybe. I can tell you that it is not a Scrappy Trip Along.


Last on my list this quarter is to finish another epp project. Namely my DS epp starflowers. I love them. I need to make them into something. What though? Suggestions welcome - unless it is to do a million more and make a massive quilt. If that is what you think should happen kindly don't tell me. There are three more starflowers almost finished besides these two, just so you know what I currently have to work with.


Five projects. Three months. Add in countless bee blocks, the odd swap that always seems to sneak in even when I don't intend it to, gifts and the like, and I think that my days will be more than full enough. Have you declared your intentions for this quarter of the FAL?

Susan

35 comments:

  1. I'm too scared to join the FAL. For me the F would stand for FAIL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I've joined the FAL for the first time this quarter and I'm starting big. Like seven quilts big ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All sounds wonderful! I love the Salt Air quilt. I won't tell you what I think you should do with those Starflowers then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Salt air quilt. Those colours are so me! I won't tell you what I think you should do with the starflowers either!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your projects and can't wait to see them finished! If you don't want to make a big quilt from the hexies (really? Are you sure?!) then how about a big squishy cushion...or a (posh) pillowcase?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've so much to finish..... My aim is just not to start anything new....... For now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the starflowers look beautiful on the dark background, that actually matches their centres! Did you notice that? I would take the number up to 9 starflowers, appliqué them onto a dark solid background and make a mini quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your projects all look so gorgeous. My fave is the salt air. I love the simple squares in the border - divine. No such luck as a return to school here - summer holidays are upon us, so three more weeks to go. It will be my daughter's first year at school though, so instead of rejoicing I'll most likely be a blubbering mess at the loss of my baby. For the first couple of hours anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks achievable, but like you said, throw in the bee blocks and all of the other projects that seem to start themselves, and it might be a bit tougher. For the starflower blocks, i think you should just stick them in the post to me, and I'll look after them for you! ; ). Or you could make a bag out of them, they're so beautiful, they need to be "shown off". Ange x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great list. If you don't want a bag or a pillow, how about a mini quilt with the starflowers for the wall or as a table topper? Or I have to say that they would make the best sewing machine cover ever. I am so glad you have joined the FAL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the epp starflowers. I managed to make nine (stars) they need the flower, but I plan on making a pillow cover with mine? Just have to decide on the "background" colour. I like your greys they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, lovely, lovely - I'm looking forward to seeing how these all turn out!
    And you are so right about the joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have followed the FAL from the sidelines so far but I am temped to jump in. I think that your list is do-able. Personally, I would turn the starflowers into cushion(s) or a bag. Good luck with your list. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still in denial! Glad to hear everyone is back to normal and out from under your feet again! You triumphed once again! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. A nice reasonable length list Susan. Whatever you do, don't under any circumstances make more starflowers. I'm trying to put mine together. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to make a full size quilt with mine. So now they are going to be the centre 'medallion' of a quilt. I love the lozenge shapes, another bag with those would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Que trabajos tan bonitos!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go you! I'm too scared to join the FAL it'll be a recipe for not sewing until August if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking good. I think you are going to rock this quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your New Year begins today - Happy New Year! And that reminds me of a story about the 3 clergymen discussing when life begins ... the punch line is life begins 'when the dog dies and the kids leave home'.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the ideas about the star flowers becoming either a table topper or sewing machine cover! They are very pretty! Still contemplating joining in the FAL this quarter- have too many projects to do by hand, which is slow going!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you don't finish that cushion I will come and steal it - almost did that in the summer!

    Great projects and I'm sure you will finish them all. Starflowers would make a great sewing machine cover, a tote for carrying quilts/weekend away bag, or they could be in a quilt - a few scattered on a solid background ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year to You, then! Great FAL list - you will have some stunning finsihes at the end of these 3 mths. What about making a beautiful wallhanging from your starflowers - they deserve to be art! Or, I like Leanne's suggestion of a sewing machine cover.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year to You, then! Great FAL list - you will have some stunning finsihes at the end of these 3 mths. What about making a beautiful wallhanging from your starflowers - they deserve to be art! Or, I like Leanne's suggestion of a sewing machine cover.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your Saltash quilt top and, as always, your hand quilting is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Im confident you can do everything on your list and probably more.

    I cant even think beyond January at the moment but I do have some goals...Im not publicly stating them though so I can wiggle out of the commitments Ive set for myself ...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great potential finises there - loads more DS stars, loads and loads are a must!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was sure I commented! Lots of lovelies to come, enjoy, peace, tranquility and quality sewing time?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good luck! But aww, poor abandoned lozenges... *sniff*

    I tell you though, if you put a big list up, people volunteer to take them off your hands ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Today is the first of the year for me too! Love that EPP!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You'll get your list finished for sure. I have not even had time to make my list, but hope to in time to link with Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  31. hello! oh you have lots to keep you busy and I know what you mean about finally being back to a routine. My two were back yesterday however I can't get any sewing done as I have been feeling a bit crappy. Weird rash and very achy wrists ( not from sewing as I have since pre Christmas!) I am sure I am peri menopausal! x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great post. My New Year starts today (blasted Inset days), and my blog post later is in a similar vein to yours - I have the house to myself, woo too!
    Happy New Year
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think you should do just fine with this list..Salt Air is a beauty and I love all your EPP projects. Good to see you have your sewing time back!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is gorgeous EPP projects like yours that make me wish I had the patience for hand sewing. Look forward to seeing your finishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.