Tuesday 1 January 2013

Off to a Flying(ish) Start

The sun is shining which, for those of you not living in the UK, might not seem such a big deal but for those of us who have been stuck in gloom and grey and wet for just about forever is something to celebrate. Starting the new year with a bright blue sky is hopefully a sign of things to come.

As is trying to catch up on my bee blocks. I have a number to do but am glad to say that I have made a start. First up, I did Sarah's blocks for Brit Bee. She sent us a variety of fabrics in the same colour palette and asked for circles, geometry, some ingenuity. When I got the fabrics out a couple of days ago Emily picked up one of them and said, 'What is that?!' 'It's called grunge, I think,' replied I. 'Well, I can see why it is called that!' said Em. No worries of her nicking any of it then, Sarah.

These two bee blocks provided a fresh challenge to me. Inset circles. As with most challenges I decided against reading tutorials and just went for it. The maths is easy. The circle you are cutting into the bee block needs to be an inch smaller than the circle that is being fit into the space. Make sense? Basically, with the quarter inch seam allowance when you sew the inset circle into the hole the two should meet in a circle that is exactly the same size.

Okay, I know the theory is easier than the doing. And mine are far from perfect but I am still really pleased with them. The other Brit Bee ladies have made some fabulous blocks and this is going to be one amazing quilt.


Next up I made Cindy's blocks for the Modern Stitching Bee. These were quick and easy to put together and I had the bright colours she likes readily available in my stash. I think this is going to be a brilliant and cheerful quilt.


That's not the only sewing that has been going on. But it is all I am showing today. Let's just say there has been a lot of trimming going on round here too. Funny how trimming HSTs can be a royal pain but the satisfaction of seeing all those shreds of off cut fabric can be so satisfying afterwards.


I hope you hall have had a equally bright start to the new year and are also raring to go.

Susan

30 comments:

  1. Great work on the circles - they look so hard, but ace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blocks and I hope you basked in the sun. I thought it was an inch added to a pieced in circle, that is what I learned from Lynne in her QAL - a quarter inch for each "side".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! I love your blocks and I'd really like to make the HST one. What size block did you make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trawling through Google Reader, you are the fourth Brit blogger (including me!) who has commented on the fact that the sun is out today :)
    Have a Happy, Healthy and Sunshine filled New Year Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today was a joyous occasion of sunshine indeed, made me all happy to sit by the window and sew. Love the blocks x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! Love the bee blocks, especially the scrappy ones, you're right, they're bright and funky, will make a really fresh quilt. I was amazed to see blue sky again too, like you say, fingers crossed it's a sign of things to come, and not a one off. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad the sun came out for you....send some our way would you?

    Happy New Year friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love my blocks! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  9. good job x it is wonderful and sunny here in Cheshire too... hope it lasts xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice bee blocks, those circles would challenge me! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those circle blocks look fantastic. Love the HST blocks too. Yay for sunshine, I hope we can do a swap as we need the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the circles, although I am allergic to circles!! Why did the sun not shine whilst I was in England?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blocks! And exhale - sunshine :) lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're off to a cracking start! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the circles are cool. And the math? I appreciate the tip. I'm sure I'll use it sometime. Meanwhile, I'm equally jazzed by the trimmings. Always a favorite at my house too, although I hate the actual trimming.

    Wishing you all the best in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab blocks S! Off to a great start indeed! jxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! I love that the sun is shining! I made a comment to Fiona at Poppy Makes - I said I'd send her some sunshine!!! She replied that the sun had shone all day in Glasgow!! Unheard of! Your circle blocks are fabulous! I can't get my head around how you make these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm, not sure where Fiona was looking, unless north Glasgow had a microcosm today, as every time I looked out it was pouring rain, as usual!

    Anywho, love the blocks, and I also love Grunge, so if anyone ever gives some to Em and she doesn't want it, you know where to send it ;o)

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Flying indeed!

    Oh I had forgotten how lovely sunshine is, and how dirty my windows are!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sun in the Midlands was amazing today! Your circle blocks are beautiful as are Cindy's - here's to a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks like you are off to greta start for the new year

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so good! Way to be on top of things for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful blocks well done on getting going !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, off to a flying start Susan! Circles are on my to do/to try list this year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous circles, that look perfect from here! I wish someone would come up with some cool craft idea for HST trimmings! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sun? Are you sure?!
    Your bee blocks are amazing - I can't wait to see Sarah's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Sarah's blocks!!! The other ones are cute too....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your circles look perfect to me. Love those pops of colour on the other blocks too.

    Totally agree with you about a pile of trimmings being something that thrills my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.