Wednesday 9 January 2013

Making a Little Go a Long Way

I've pieced the back for Salt Air and I am ever so pleased that there was more than enough fabric. In fact there are little bits and pieces leftover - after making the binding too. Very little pieces, but that's not the point. The important bit is I had enough. I am so relieved!

The binding is scrappy, and I did add in one non-Salt Air fabric. It took me a while to decide, but I eventually went with short strips of Kona Coal. It works with the colours in Salt Air, and to me just suggest a bit of storminess to the sea conditions. That is appropriate as the recipient of this quilt has been enduring a number of life's storms. I am hoping when she receives this quilt it will coincide with the start of a nice long calm period where she can sit back and enjoy all the good stuff she has happening.


Meanwhile, the postman did not disappoint me today. I got a non-bill package. This time it was my last bee block from the brilliantly talented and lovely Jo - Life In Lists. The wait was worth it, and as we know, there wasn't a chance in hell I was going to piece my bee quilt before Christmas so there was no need for her to stress herself about getting it done earlier. She had a lot going on. A lot! But now that she has found the time, just look at the amazing block Jo made for me. It is stunning!


Guess that means I have to figure out a way to put together all these disparate star blocks I asked for. Now that is going to take some pondering. And I have Salt Air to baste. It would help if I actually had some wadding.

Susan

28 comments:

  1. Wow love that bee block. I just had an email from Creative Grids, 10% off selected wadding through January - might be worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful quilt block! so clever! and I can't wait to see salt air finished how you quilting this beauty?? It's great when you just make it with the fabric isn't it? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for making the backing work with what you had! What a fabulous star too, can't wait to see it all put together in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been very inventive with pulling your salt air quilt together. Can't wait to see it and I'm sure the recipient will love it. Jo's star block is brilliant. That's going to be a fab quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get that backing finished. And that bee block was well worth the wait. You have some very talented bee mates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. piecing your backs - that is a slippery slope your on Susan but doesn't it look great!

    Jo's star block is stunning - you BBs are going from great to stellar!

    I need wadding too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was just about to tell you about Creative Grids too - good price for wadding at moment.
    That MC block is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one stunning star block! And well done on making the salt air stretch! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you're happy with the star! One of the points is a little squiffy, but I decided it didn't warrant an entire unpicking session ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that star block is phenomenal, who wouldn't be delighted with it!!! and I really love the Salt Air back, it looks very arty. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased to hear you had enough fabric for the backing and the binding. You could always cobble together the batting if you have smaller pieces. I've done that a couple of times. The star ism amazing, it's going to be an awesome quilt when you finally decide on a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to not have to spend precious pennies on backing! And that star block is a winner! Your star quilt will shine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your star block is incredible.Seriously fantastic.

    So glad you had enough for the salt air backing .It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure your quilt is going to bring great comfort. It looks like a finish is on the cards soon. You are also going to have a beautiful bee quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, love Jo's block. And well done on finishing the backing for salt air

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohoo! On both counts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a scoop getting the backing done, I usually concentrate so much on the front and get taken by surprise that I need to come up with backing fabric too!

    What a fantastic star bee block, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super star from Jo, and well done on the back-patchery and binding xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. All looking fab there, but yes, I'm thinking somefink for the middle would be useful...

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a stunning bee block. You are going to have an amazing quilt when the blocks are pieced. Good for you in getting the Salt Air backing sorted. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  21. That bee block is gorgeous!! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think I told you that your Salt Air quilt looks fab, and I love your piecey backing :)
    Jo's star is amazing! Can't wait to see how you put the quilt together!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how you've pieced the back - looks brill! Love the star from Jo, she's a genius! (As, of course, are you!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a seriously impressive star block from Jo! Wow.

    I saw your Salt Air quilt on flickr - it's really pretty and I bet it will bring much comfort to your friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.