Tuesday 8 January 2013

Clever Friends

The biggest and best reason for blog reading and blog writing is the friends it brings you. We are all agreed on that, correct? The bonus point is that the friends I make usually know more than I do about sewing, and have more common sense. Saves me a ton of pondering time. Which I hugely appreciate.

The lovely Helen - Archie the Wonder Dog - was wise enough to suggest I put the quilt top for Salt Air on the floor and spread out the fabrics I had to piece the back with on top and see if I had enough. Genius! Why do I never, ever think of these things on my own?

Surprisingly enough, it looks like there will be sufficient fabric. And to still do the binding. The only thing I might do, just to make sure, is to take an inch and a half off the borders on either side of the quilt. Not the top and bottom, just the sides. I do not think it will compromise the design at all. In some ways it might highlight those little squares I pieced into top and bottom.

I did a little piecing with the remains of the Salt Air fabrics which will enable the Kona Snow to become the majority of the backing. (Must remember to order more Kona Snow!)


Meanwhile, just when I thought I had admitted to all fabric purchases, the doorbell rang and the postman handed over something for me. Remember the Fat Quarter Shop having 50% off some bundles before Christmas? I forgot I succumbed to the lure of a fat eight bundle of this.


I love this line. You already knew that. And I want to make more stuff with it. This was the first time I noticed those little snow globe houses used in the selvedges for the fabric colours thought. Sweet! Do you think I will actually get my Christmas makes done in advance this year, having fabric in place and ready to go? One can but hope.

Susan

30 comments:

  1. That is such a great mosaic of your fun mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's fab to have clever friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start your Christmas making now! It's the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen is very clever! Cherry Christmas is gorgeous - can't wait to see what you make but I think a little break from Christmassy things won't hurt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you and Hadley are singing from the same hymn sheet - great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha!! I'm going for the June Cherry Christmas quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What adorable fabric!! You know; sometimes we just don't step back enough from our own work to see things. It takes someone not connected to see the obvious. Thanks goodness for our blogging friends, eh Helen....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be channelling Hadley or vice versa. I LOVE Cherry Christmas and can't wait to see what you do with it. I missed out on getting any myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you and Hadley colluding again?! I think you will have trouble getting Christmas projects started with that pretty fabric on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, I'd never have thought of that, I always just try and wing it in my head with the calculations! Enjoy your bundle though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha hahaha it must be something in the air. I "discovered" a charm pack of both Oh Deer & another by Aneela (see I can't even remember the name!!)
    Just shows you you have to open the boxes & drawers on a regular basis just to remember what you have LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed, that is one of the best things about blogland friends. That and seeing all the beautiful wonderful things they make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh look at those clever wee snow globes on the selvedge - cute, cute, cute! I love Cherry Christmas too - way to plan ahead! Your salt air backing is going to be as beautifully pieced as the front at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bloggy friends are just great, especially as you have advice and wisdom on tap. I love your advanced Christmas fabric shopping - Christmas in July for you then? Di x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like it's a summer of Christmas all round! Helen's such a clever chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea of Helens, I need to remember that! Waaaaaay to organised re Christmas makes!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never imagined I would have so many like minded friends when I started blogging...and yes most of them are cleverer than me!

    May as well get a head start then on Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the combo of aqua, raspberry, grey and lime green and if these were MY fabrics, I'd plan a Xmas quilt too (but in my case it would no doubt be xmas 2020)
    And yes, Helen IS a clever lassie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think a Christmas in August QAL would be just the ticket! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you want good sense always ask Helen I'd say!

    I'd start the quilt now if I were you - I got some Christmas fabric from the Fat Quarter Shop and would join in but I have so much else to do first! Bee blocks to catch up on for a start!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your Salt Air quilt - the colors look remind me of a day at the ocean - very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well if you join our group '1 Xmas make a month' you are sure to be well and truly organised - well it's my plan since joining. Love the snow globes too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Helen is one smart cookie.
    I love Cherry Christmas but i have vowed to myself no more Christmas fabric. I still haven't used any of the Christmas fabric I've already bought.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Am challenging Hadley to a Cherry Christmas race - she if she can finish hers for 2013 before I finish mine for 2012! Wanna join the starting line?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Susan, just catching up with all your recent posts now that I am back and I just love the Salt Air quilt. Is that the name of the fabric line? It's just gorgeous and it works so well with the HSTs. Cute border too. I am a big fan of Aneela Hoey's fabrics too, lucky you getting more in the sale! I had great fun with Cherry Christmas over Christmas, making an EPP placemat. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing your Salt Air quilt finished soon! (Hand or machine quilted I wonder?)

    ReplyDelete
  26. There's a feeling of elation that goes with knowing you have JUST enough fabric to cobble together a back and binding. Thank goodness for friends with common sense and great suggestions!

    I went on a fabric/internet shopping bender last week and Im waiting for my goodies to arrive too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good to see it's still Christmas in your house! Helen is a clever one...I never was very good at lateral thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad it worked and that you've got enough fabric! I'm not clever but it was lovely of you to say so!
    Love your new fabric and I can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such great pics.

    The only thing that keeps me blogging is the fabulous interaction it generates.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooo! Yippee for the FQ shop sales!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.