Saturday 19 May 2012

Nothing Like a Well Oiled Machine

I have the best friends. Really I do. Because no sooner had I said the other day that my machine was sounding like an 80 year old who had smoked twenty a day for sixty years than, not one, but two of my bloggy, quilting friends came to my rescue.

Cindy sent me some oil. And Trudi sent me the most incredible gizmo for getting the oil to where I need it. She calls it a sonic screwdriver. I call it amazing!


Here's how it works -

You unscrew the top and put the oil in the reservoir there.
Then replace the lid.

Then take the cap off the other end.
When oiling you place the tip just where you need one drop of oil,
then push the button on the top of the device.

Presto, one drop of oil just where it is required.
That long, narrow tip makes getting into the  machine innards so much easier.
(Obviously, the freezer paper was used for demonstration purposes only.)

I swiftly went about getting my bobbin bits out of the machine.


Oiled the bobbin race, or whatever you call it. Changed the needle for good measure. And then put the foot pedal all the way down. Wow! Not a complaint at all. No jarring, shuddering, swearing (from the machine or me). In fact it sounds like, well, just like a well oiled machine. Bliss!


A happy machine makes for a happy me. Now if you will excuse me I think I will go play. If you are interested in this amazing sonic screwdriver then you might find better results looking up Laser Precision Oiler. Doesn't sound near as good as Trudi's name for it though.

A huge thank you to both Trudi and Cindy. You guys are the best and I can't wait to see you in two weeks time.

Oh, and before I forget, I will leave you with a photo of my gorgeous purchases from Fluffy Sheep Quilting. I couldn't resist, and I have wanted the seeds prints for a very long time. It would be churlish not to support a friend in her new venture after all. The fuchsia is a perfect stash fabric. The seeds are just divine.



Susan

26 comments:

  1. I need to take mine in for a tune up. What kind of a machine do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm Okay I want a sonic screwdriver too... except to be honest I've no idea what bits to oil.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonic Screwdriver! I must have one....did it come with a Doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still all foreign to me and my un-oiled machine - I think I better 'You Tube' it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your machine is purring once more! Enjoy! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this blog post. I am definitely getting one of those sonic thingumyjigs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mr Drummond, thank you so much for including free services for 5 years with my machine... Glad you got yours sorted missus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could oil the rest of it too, just for good measure. I think my current machine is meant to be oiled only by fancy techs but I do oil my old one once in a while. Might need one of those sonic things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. A sonic laser oiling thingy. Who knew they even existed? That's so super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! I fell prey to Cindy's goodies and have the matching orange to your pink! Plus some Metro dots!

    Glad to see you oiled up - that is some magic sonic screwdriver!

    No more grinding I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool but I would have no idea where to oil!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you were able to get that machine fired up again. And yeah for nice friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that your machine is purring again. Great having fantastic friends. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  14. :) nothing like a happy machine and a happy quilting friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you learn something new everyday when you read blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mine is need of an oil too. Love the jazzy oil thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nothing like a happy machine, hey!? And a happy machine is a happy sewer too!! What great friends you have! I'm lucky to have one who doesn't need oiling- at least that's what the mechanic says!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im sitting here feeling guilty because I've never oiled my machine in my life...and now I'm wondering if I should be doing it and whether I need one of those awesome oiling doodads and some oil....

    LOVE that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hmmm, never oiled my machine before either, wonder if i should! Love those fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woo hoo for good friends, oil and a squirter thingy. The fabrics are gorgeous and clealry essential for stash ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. defo want a sonic screwdriver. When I'd finished oiling my machine I could go around pretending I'm doctor who.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice gizmo! I think one of those would come in handy. I sent my machine out to be serviced and it came back squeaking! I think they forgot to oil it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh handy gadget! But I am with Sarah in the "I don't know which bit to oil" camp!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great thingamajig! I want one! And I think you're going to have to do a 'where to oil your machine' tutorial for quite a few of your readers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am absolutely amazed at how terrific the stuff is on this site. I have saved this webpage and I truly intend on visiting the site in the upcoming days. Keep up the excellent work! sweet cheeks
    Precision punch

    ReplyDelete
  26. oooo, you've reminded me, after 17 years, I really think I should oil my machine! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.