Thursday 24 November 2011

Nose to the Grindstone

I can accomplish thing when I have a deadline and a purpose in mind, rather than meandering through my day. Today, despite having an ill husband home, I plowed on with the quilt I started piecing yesterday. To give himself his due, he no longer expects nursing skills or sympathy from me. We have been married long enough for his rose tinted spectacles to be well and truly removed!

Now, I would show you more of my thought process and progress through the day, but have just downloaded my photos to find that, despite beliefs otherwise, I only took two photos today. I blame the man who kept making cups of tea and sitting down for a chat with me. All well and fine but apparently it affects my photography skills.

I finished making the small blocks, and then pieced four together to make a block that measured 11.5" unpieced. I thought about doing the diamond pattern but after my usual ponder decided against it. When I had enough blocks made I laid them out on the only available big enough space altogether. I didn't like them right next to each other. It was too busy with these fabrics. I think I would have had to have had some white strips in to relieve the eye some.

So I pulled them all slightly apart from each other, on point like this.


And then I drove to the quilt shop, leaving these on the floor of course, and bought some more fabric for backing and for sashing and cornerstones. And that is what I have been doing ever since. Cutting and sewing. All work and no play is turning me into a dull girl. I shall have to have a wee mishap or two along the way so I can get entertaining again. As of this moment I have managed to sash over half the blocks. I am pleased with the way it is looking.



Oh, there was this. A small warning for those of you who give their finger a very light lick when trying to abut seams and such when you piece things together. Do not ever try to dampen the end of  your finger while holding a pin. Really, do not do this. Trust me, it hurts!

Susan

19 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and you are so right about the sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the on point design! Looking fab! Kiss your finger better (& maybe your husband too!) Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope hubby feels better soon and yea for piecing and an LQS - love piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking fab! Hope finger and hubby are well soonest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww did you stab your finger or your tongue?! Etchings quilt is looking very sophisticated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blocks and the sashing and cornerstones look wonderful - inspired thinking! Hope your lip(?) and hubby get better soon - maybe some chocolate will help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! I hope you didn't bleed on your pretty quilt! It has a Christmas 'pinwheel' look to it! (BTW Do you realize you are going to have some 'Y' seams, setting in those triangle edge pieces?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, it's looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, love this and the colours are great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking fab so far. Owie on the tongue though o.O

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great going despite himself and the tongue action!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have made great progress despite interruptions - hope he made a cuppa for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow that is going to look so beautiful. I love the sashing, it is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking gorgeous! Love those blocks set on point and the cornerstones! Hope sick hubby is better (and out from under your feet!) soon..... does he also suffer from mansickness? (where a mild cold is diagnosed as pneumonia?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like it a whole lot! The corner stones really add a great sparkle of color. The blocks are just beautiful! Well done, lovely S!

    ReplyDelete
  16. it is just gorgeous and the sashing is perfect !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh SusieQ its beautiful!! Love it!! I've made this pattern before, so simple but striking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooh I love that pattern! You are going great guns!
    I'm doing the same thing. Only got to sash 11 more blocks & I'll have finished all the blocks for my girls quilts.
    Wonder who will finish first. Come on - I'll race ya ;)
    LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking fabulous. Seriously awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.